Wednesday, December 28, 2011

diy : glitter striped top

I've been wanting a sequin top for quite some time now, but every time I see one I say to myself  "really, when and where are you going to wear that. Let's be practical!"  So I end up passing them up. (I know, me, passing up glitter or sequins of any kind...unheard of!) Well this blog that I love to follow, The Budget Babe had a recent post about how to glitter stripe your own shirt! Brilliant I thought, I'll just make my own on the cheap instead of spending mucho moola to buy a pre-made one. Plus I get more satisfaction out of a diy project. 

I basically followed the steps in her blog, but I did a few things a little different. I found a striped Henley tank at Old Navy for $7 (similar here)! I thought the gold glitter would look pretty over the tan stripe. 
So I taped off the stripes as directed in the Budget Babe blog. 

 My craft store, Hobby Lobby did not have the color of gold I would have preferred to use. They were either very orange gold or very green gold. So I decided to mix a really pretty rose gold and the more green gold together. Just squeeze out a blob of this glitter bond onto a paper plate, dump as little or as much glitter and mix it up with the a stirring utensil (I used the end of a paint brush) and use the applicator sponge that the glue comes with to spread it on. 

Here is an up close of the shirt after I peeled the masking tape off. 
 This is before the glitter glue was applied. 

And here is what the tank looks like on (it's a little blurry, but you get the idea)! 


So super easy! I bought another t-shirt from Old Navy  for $5 I am going to try the Chevron pattern just towards the bottom. 

fairy poop and all things sparkly, 





No comments:

Post a Comment